Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Considering an "Unassisted childbirth"?



In dedication to my little (actually, 10 lbs. 5 oz. at birth) newborn Jayson, I want to educate the world on unassisted birth. (How he was brought into the world.)

Like me, more and more women are choosing to give birth at home without the assistance of doctors or certified midwives. And although this may shock and frighten some people, contrary to popular opinion, unassisted birth can actually be safer than assisted birth. When a woman is not interfered with, either physically by the assistant's hand (constant checking, monitoring, drugs, etc.) or psychologically by her own mind (fear, shame, and guilt), babies are often born quickly and easily.

 If you didn't already know this, an unassisted homebirth, otherwise known as a "traditional homebirth" , freebirth or "Unassisted childbirth"( "UC" for short) is not actually always totally unassisted, but is simply a birth not assisted by a licensed and certified professional. Most cases of UC that I have heard of have experienced or trained help though. Sometimes that help comes in the form of lay or training Midwives, Doulas or even nurses. . .often as well as a Mother or Mother in law, friend and usually the husband as well.

Some people do just UC at the birth, and get prenatal care, others do both unassisted pregnancy and childbirth. I only felt comfortable doing this now on my 5th baby, and frankly don't understand the mindset that wants to be completely alone the first time. Unassisted pregnancy and childbirth, especially the truly alone type, is definitely not for everyone, and I would be very concerned if many of you tried it! That said, you might be one of those who are ready to consider it as an option, so first let's talk about the legal ramifications. . .

While in some backwards states homebirth with even certified professional Midwives (CPM's) is still unregulated or even illegal, UC is surprisingly legal in every state! (As there is no way to prove that it didn't happen accidentally with a short labor.) So while you could not be prosecuted for neglect in the case of an emergency hospital transfer, or a bad outcome, often a certified or even lay Midwife is. Strangely though the line between lay Midwife (illegal in most states) and Doula (legal everywhere) is very fine and sketchy. Because of this, woman get away with their caregiver/Midwife coming with them to the hospital (unpersecuted) IF they are named as the mothers' Doula, and don't have a bunch of equipment with them.

Considering the legal issues and controversy surrounding CPM's and certified nurse midwives (CNM's) in some States, some choose to go solo simply based on this. Others, feeling they have no choice, because they cannot have the natural birth they want in a small local hospital (or even at home with some CPM's or CNM's) simply because they had a c-section before choose an UC. Other times the location a person is in just may not have a close enough Midwife, of any sort. Or the person wants more control, or they feel that intervention is dangerous or unneeded. Sometimes they are a professional themselves, or feel that they are good at caring for their own health themselves. Sometimes it is a case of cost being the issue as well. So for these reasons, and many more, people have had Unassisted childbirth (UC).

 I was one of those who simply saw no need for extra certified help in either the pregnancy or birth. I am also a bit of a control freak, and was not about to give control of my life or baby this last time to anyone else if I could help it. . .

 I nonetheless consider myself both well connected to and supported by the midwifery community, as well as well informed, and very healthy.  I have also seen numerous other homebirths (besides my own), studied Midwifery for many years (alone and with a study group) and am CPR and first aid certified, so was very well prepared. . .not everyone cares to be so involved and take that much responsibility though I understand.

 I also have a very knowledgable Doula friend who had assisted alongside a homebirth Midwife for years before starting nursing school. (She was at my birth, along with others and was very good. If you are in the VA area, and want an assistant, look her up through messaging me.) I had my cheat sheets, lists of supplies, herbals and descriptions and usages and individualized assistant instructions written out to the smallest details, (forms, lists and plans that I can also send in a message or e-mail if anyone needs them.) and with slight exceptions they were followed to a tee. (And also a transfer plan for both me and baby, with a birth plan written out for that case too.)

 I was done with feeling like a sick patient in labor, and like the baby and I had to be checked for position and life constantly. (It seemed very untrusting and pessimistic and the worry and stress it all caused was doing no good I knew.) I was in charge of nothing in labor it seemed in the past, even to some extent in my Homebirths with a CPM. So now finally with my last baby (my 5th living one) I struck out with an UC. My birth went unhindered, and better then any of my others at the hospital or home with a hired professional. I have no regrets.


What was the big deal you ask, that i would choose such an unconventional birth? What was even different about the birth then with an assisted birth with a CPM or CNM you ask? Well, for those curious of UC and pregnancy, I'll give you the nitty gritty of what I did, and why.

 In pregnancy I charted my typical signs and symptoms, but honestly only for accountability and curiosity. I also wanted to look legit in filling in the blanks on a sheet I got from a friend CPM. . . To tell the truth though, I really saw no need for any of it!

So what do your typical caregivers normally check that I now did?
  1. Checking for weight.
Think about it, why worry about your weight gain if you are eating healthy food, and you are growing? If you are not gaining by the second trimester, that is an issue, but other then not gaining enough, a healthy woman  with a good diet should not be concerned with gaining too much. I have gained 45 to 50 lbs each time and just had big babies.

    2. urine sticks.

If you feel no issues with your bladder and feel good, why check your urine? I have had a few CPM's now tell me that the urine sticks are an old formality that rarely help with diagnosing anything, so I believe them. That said, I happen to have bought them in the past to check the PH of my family, so I did use them occasionally.

   3. Taking my blood pressure.

My blood pressure is classically low. . .too low, so I have had no worries about high BP and didn't take it more then when I visited Walmart a few times, and when a few of my friends wanted practice.

  4. Measuring my fundus.

So if I measured a little small (which I never do) I would know I might be a little off my mark on the bottom or top, or it's not a growth spurt time for baby. If I measured a little big, I would know that it is normal for me and likely not twins. Either way, as I do the fertility charting, I know my dates, and have never been off them much. (Though classically I was around 2 weeks late of my due date.) At worst case scenario, if the measurements were more then a little off, I would simply take myself in for an ultrasound to confirm life, growth and or twins. (The same thing a Midwife or doctor has and would do.)

   5. Ultrasounds.

There is no evidence that regular and routine ultrasounds help a pregnancy in any way, and to the contrary, there is evidence that they harm some cells in their formative stages. Particularly the ones in a baby girls ovaries, effecting the next generation. Though the studies have been covered up and people have been silenced. . .because the tests are a huge money maker! (In my area, each one not covered by insurance costs $800.00)

   6. Listening for babies heart tones.

This I could do (with borrowed equipment) but mostly others did with a fetoscope (for practice) but honestly I saw little use in it either. . . Besides after a diagnosis of a live baby, only in the rare case of distress in the womb before a miscarriage (because of a cord or placenta hemorrhage or some strange thing) does measuring heart tones actually give a better survival rate for the baby. . . but only if you just happen to check at the exact time it was happening. . .which is usually pretty sudden. So in the end, up until labor it is pretty much only good for connecting with baby and to tell us it's alive. . .something most mom's can feel pretty well from week 15 or so.

   7. Testing

The tests doctors put you through are predominantly about how good your diet and health is, which if you already know your issues, or don't have them, you can feel free to skip. For first babies, or if you aren't in a stable relationship, you may want some of those tests once at least, but they are something you can get yourself through a clinic or doctors office usually. Sometimes the pregnancy crisis centers offer them for free! I got my iron checked in all of my pregnancies, as that tends to be my issue, but I would think a test for all the vitamins and minerals you can do would be ideal! The better you can eat, and follow your actual needs and symptoms, the better off you and baby will be.

   8. Interventions.

From position checks, sweeping the membranes, cervical checks and breaking the bag of waters to shots of pitocin, oxygen, or tests and procedures for baby; all are at best useless or controversial and at worst dangerous.
   9. palpitation.

Checking for position, or two babies is unreliable at best (As I found putting myself in the hands of numerous assistants and Midwives one night and not telling them what the others felt.) It is somewhat reliable and useful in labor, but hopefully if you have been paying attention, and are at all good at feeling baby parts yourself, you will be just as good as the Midwife for telling where feet are and where the head is. . .though even when the baby is in a good position in labor it can change. (And vise versa.) So basically, it is simply for fun or curiosity and out of tradition that people do it. . .doctors do not do it at all.

 10. Advice

I found Midwives to know a lot about herbs, natural fixes and give good counsel as a general rule, but through a few good online resources I could also save myself the trouble of remembering to ask them stuff at the appointment time.

So, speaking of resources, If (preferably after having one or more assisted homebirths) you are considering going without professional help for your next pregnancy and/or birth, you will want many resources at your finger tips, much like I gave in my last post What you need for homebirth to be safe.


Some skills and things you will need for starters are:

  1.  A knowledge of how and what to google when you have a question. As well as sources to trust. . .
  2.  Wise (usually) older woman friends or family to ask counsel of or be a part of a study group for midwifery, etc.
  3.  You and (one of) your planned birth assistant(s) being trained somewhat, having taken at least a course in baby CPR/first aid and preferably Neonatal Resuscitation. Also having some knowledge of Emergency Childbirth.  (Preferably like knowing warning signs and how to assist to deliver stuck babies.)
  4. A few basic supplies (Everyone has different ideas of what one's are best, but the basics are really mostly for comfort for mom and cleanliness for the area in my opinion.)
  5.  Natural remedies on hand for energy, electrolyte balance, blood loss, hemorrhage, trauma of tissue. . .these do no good though without well written out instructions for the assistant if they don't know their use, and you aren't in a frame of mind to tell her/him or remember.
  6. A good chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist or herbalist friend to run things by and get help from in the case of a breech baby, hips or tailbone out (hampering the decent of the baby) or otherwise before the birth. They can also be important in helping with recovery for you AND the baby and with signing some forms to get a birth certificate afterwards.
  7. A plan for in the case of a hospital transfer, and a willingness to go if needed.
  8. Good sites for info to assist you in both prenatal and your overall health like:
  • Do-it-Yourself Prenatal Care
  • Born Free! - "Laura Shanley's Unassisted Childbirth page." 
  • Cure Zone.com and Cure Zone.org "Educating instead of Medicating" - Pages and pages of information, forums, articles and downloads about cleansing and curing an enormous array of conditions. Lots of info about iodine, mercury fillings, liver cleanses, parasites and so on. On the day I happened to add these links, these two sites had 7,566 and 11,188 visitors respectively online at that moment! Lots of activity and sharing of information.
  • Dr. Joseph Mercola - His web site is over 10 years old and contains a true wealth of health related information. His newsletter has over 800,000 subscribers and brings a broad range of up to the minute health news, research and analysis to your inbox. Dr. Mercola's web site also now delivers a blog, videos, offers a few select products and maintains a community dedicated to creating health. This is a great resource.
  • Earth Clinic - Folk Remedies and Holistic Cures - This large and informative site is one of the top ten most viewed alternative health sites on the web. What is very interesting and refreshing here is that much of the information comes from people writing in. You aren't just reading "expert opinions" here. What you are reading is reports of actual experiences of actual people actually using these remedies.
  •  And don't forget, I have a ton more good sites specifically geared for educating people on homebirth in my last post called:  What you need for homebirth to be safe.
What you don't need is permission from your friends, or family, even your husband. (I know, those religious people will hate this lack of submission here, but as you can see in the rest of my blog, that didn't work for me.) This is your birth, and just as all mammals do, you need to be in a comfortable place, and doing what you need to do to feel safe. If that's being alone, with hubby or just a few good friends, it's the most relaxed and that makes it the safest place for you to birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment